Painting is the first step towards creating a comprehensive design for your home. Accent walls can make your home more cohesive and add dimension. Any color can be an accent wall color, but some paint colors are more pleasing to the eye.
What Is An Accent Wall?
Simply put, an accent wall is an interior wall that features a different color, shade, pattern, or materials than the other walls in the room. Accent walls are used to draw visual attention, and they are considered the focal point of a room. Any room can have an accent wall, including living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens, bedrooms, and bathrooms.
Paint is an inexpensive way to create an accent wall in any room. If you’re designing a painted accent wall, you’ll want to select a color that complements the other walls in the room, as well as the color palette you’ve chosen for the room’s furnishings.
Factors to Consider When Selecting Accent Wall Colors
Choose the Right Walls to Accent
The first step is to choose the right walls to accent. An accent wall can create a sense of dimension and shape in an otherwise boxy room or emphasize an existing focal point. Selecting the wrong wall to accent can look awkward or out of place, so follow these guidelines:
- If possible, choose a wall that already has a focal point, such as a fireplace, built-in bookshelves, or other architectural detail.
- When there is no natural focal point in a room, you can create one with furnishings and accessories. The wall behind a headboard in a bedroom makes an ideal accent wall.
- Accent walls usually look best when they are solid, meaning they have no doors or windows.
- The best wall to accent in a long rectangular room is the farthest short wall. The accent color will draw attention and make the wall appear closer to you, essentially correcting the room’s visual appearance.
- Accenting shared walls common in open floor plans is rarely a good idea. Deciding where to stop and start if the wall spans the kitchen and living area can be challenging without expert advice. You risk making the space look disproportionately unbalanced or elongated if the accent color stops in the wrong place.
Select a Color Scheme for the Room
Developing a color scheme for your home will help you choose the right accent colors. Professional designers recommend following the 60-30-10 rule. When selecting a color scheme, select a primary color to use in sixty percent of the space, 30 percent for a secondary color, and 10 percent reserved for an accent. The secondary color is often used for cabinetry or accent walls. Consider your home’s architectural style as well. Contemporary homes often have gray, soft teal, or light blue accent walls. A modern farmhouse-style home looks great with gray, green, blue, or black accent colors.
Match the Accent Color to the Room’s Purpose
When selecting paint colors, it’s always important to consider color’s psychological impact on people. Colors convey a certain mood and energy. Think about the primary use of the space and select colors that evoke the right feeling. Most people want a relaxing mood in their bedrooms which is why blues and greens are popular choices. Use bright, energetic colors in children’s playrooms, kitchens and laundry rooms, or any space where you want a more lively mood.
Add a Dark Accent in a Light Room
Accent walls usually look best when they are darker than the other walls in the room. A dark accent wall is a classic look that works with any decor. If you already have a lot of natural light and lighter furnishings, consider a dark accent wall to add contrast. A charcoal gray, black or deep blue creates a bold statement. Many people worry that a black accent wall will look depressing, but a black accent wall can look fresh and inviting when paired with light furnishings, flooring, and accessories.
Trust the Local Painting Professionals
The benefits of hiring a professional painter are numerous. You’ll save time, energy, money and have peace of mind knowing the work was completed safely and professionally. By hiring local painting professionals, you’ll benefit from their expertise and support your local community at the same time.
Mr. Mole’s Painting LLC offers a variety of interior and exterior painting services for both commercial and residential properties. We provide in-person and virtual quotes for your convenience. Contact us today at (218) 255-7168 to discuss your needs.